So, What Is An English Doodle Dog? With so many different Doodle breeds on the market, it can be tough finding the right one for you. Everyone gets an American Goldendoodle or Labradoodle, but you might want something a little different. A fantastic breed of Doodle that many have not heard of before. If this is you, you may want an English Doodle Dog. But what is an English Doodle dog? Let’s explore these fantastic creatures together to see if they are just what you are looking for.
- First, let us explain what English Doodles are. The English Doodle is a crossbreed between an English Cream Golden Retriever and a Poodle. These Doodles are also called English Cream Doodles or Teddy Bear Doodles. They get the name Teddy Bear because they typically have a large, more boxed head than their American counterparts.
- These adorable dogs were first bred right here in the USA in the ’90s. These dogs are more laid back and calm compared to the American Goldendoodle. The English Doodle originally was a great therapy companion and service dog. But, they have since risen to popularity and are the up and coming next top designer breed. Once people caught wind of the hypoallergenic breeds, these Doodles have risen in the ranks.
- When you bring an English Doodle home, you should know how much joy and happiness it will bring. The English Doodle is the most relaxed and calm breed of any other Doodle. These Doodles are lap dogs by nature and love people. They enjoy being the center of attention and following you along on any adventure possible.
- Since these Doodles were bred for therapy dogs, it is easy to see how attached they become to their owners. They are loyal and very intuitive to your feelings. They always know when you are feeling a little blue or under the weather. And, they know just what the doctor ordered to get you feeling better again.
- Though these Doodles are relaxed, they are not couch potatoes. They do love being apart of the fun and playing with you daily. Some love to do everything that their American counterparts love to do also. They love to play, run, and romp around after all the fun and games every dog loves.
- The Teddy Bear Doodle is known for its calm demeanor. They love to cuddle just as much as they enjoy a great game of fetch. The reason these Doodles are so popular is that they do not require all of the extra exercises that other Doodles do. These dogs do just fine with low to moderate exercise daily. 30-60 minutes a day is just fine to keep them feeling healthy and happy.
- What these dogs lack in energy, they make up for in intelligence. The higher the intelligence in dogs, the more mental stimulation they need. So be prepared to not leave them alone for extended amounts of time. And, when they are left alone, it is wise to have someone drop by and check up on them. Busy toys and puzzles are another great way of providing mental stimulation.
- With high intelligence comes exceptional training abilities. You will be able to train your English Cream Doodle in record times and to do just about anything. These dogs love to please their owners, and that works to your advantage with training. Your dog will be happy to do anything you ask, and for as little as a small treat.
- Owners have raved that their English Doodles have trained faster than other breeds. And that they can train their companions to do amazing things. Your dog will love training sessions with you. Since they love mental stimulation, training programs provide them with plenty to do. Your dog will love having tasks and the feeling of accomplishment after.
- This training ability is what makes the English Doodle so great to have as a therapy dog. They learn how to read your emotions and what to do in different situations. They can also be trained as service dogs to fetch medication, guide you, or perform small tasks.
- Like all Doodles, the English Doodles are considered hypoallergenic. Hypoallergenic means that they are little to no shedding dogs. This low shedding can be great for people who have allergies or asthma. But, with this significant aspect comes great responsibility. Before getting an English Doodle, be prepared to brush your Doodle regularly. You will want to invest in a great set of brushes to keep their fur tangle-free.
- You will also need to be prepared to take your dog to the groomer every 6-12 weeks. This grooming appointment is for a good bath and hair cut. These hair cuts are needed because since their hair does not shed, it grows continually. Cutting their hair keeps it healthy and mat-free.
English Cream Goldendoodles have three main coat types. They usually have a wavy or curly coat type. And in rare cases, will have straight hair. Most people love to have wavy or curly types because these types are little to non-shedding. And, since these are a hybrid breed, it is not uncommon to get a straight-haired pup in the mix.
- These curly and wavy coats are what give them their classic teddy bear looks.
- With these English Goldendoodles, you may think that they only come in one color. But, this couldn’t be further from the truth. Since these mixed breeds can have any color of Poodle, you can have almost any color English Doodle.
- They generally come in creme, apricot, black, chocolate. But, there are some more rare color variations like the red doodle dog or the black and white parts. Keep in mind, though, that the more unusual the color is, the longer you will have to wait for these puppies to become available. Since individual color variations are hard to predict, it can be up to six months before they are available again.
Size and Lifespan
- One of the fantastic things about the English Doodle is that they come in several sizes. You will have your choice between small, medium, and standard. Smaller Doodle dogs generally do not do well in apartments because their energy levels are the same as a standard Doodle. But, that couldn’t be further from the truth with an English Doodle. Since they are so laid back, they are perfect for apartment living.
- Small Doodles grow to be 12-15 inches tall and 18-30 pounds, This is great for people who want all the qualities of a Doodle in smaller living situations. There are also Medium English Doodles that are 16-19 inches and 30-50 pounds, making them a great middle ground. And lastly, there are Standards that grow up to 19-23 inches and 50-85 pounds.
- These lovable Bear Doodle dogs will be with your family for years to come. These companions live 10-15 years, with smaller varieties living the longest. With a healthy diet and exercise, it isn’t uncommon for your Doodle to live longer and healthier lives.
- Generally, these Doodles are very healthy in all regards. But, these breeds are still relatively new to the Doodle group, and therefore it is hard to tell what conditions they will be prone to getting. Most Goldendoodle varieties are prone to hip dysplasia, eye disease, and cancers.
- It is crucial when choosing a breeder that you get all medical records from the parent dogs. These records should show DNA testing and the likelihood of your puppy developing a disease later in life. While these tests are not 100%, it is a way to ensure that your breeder hasn’t bred two dogs together that carry a genetic trait for a disease.
- Since the English Doodle is relatively new to the designer game, it can be hard to find a breeder for them. Since breeders are not as common as other Doodle breeds, you will likely pay a steep price. A reputable breeder will charge anywhere from $1,500-$5,000 depending on size and color variations. These breeders will also have a long waiting list of about six months.
- But, when you purchase from a reputable breeder, be assured that this money is well spent. These breeders have dedicated their lives to making the breed better. That means your dog and their parents are tested and bred to be healthy dogs. You will not get poorly bred dogs that will need a lot of medical attention later in life.
Are You Up To It?
- Do you think the English Goldendoodle is the right pet for you and your household? These fantastic dogs make great companions that you will love for years to come. They will be like apart of your family and never leave your side. These dogs will mold right into your lifestyle and add a little extra spark at the end of the day.
- Don’t forget to follow our page for updates on the latest in the Doodle community. We make all things Doodle our inspiration and passion.
Below is a Pinterest friendly photo…. so you can pin it to your Doodle Board!!