So, you have finally decided to get your dream dog, the Goldendoodle. The only question is if you should get a male or female? Can there be that much of a difference in a male vs female Goldendoodles? Today, we will discuss any significant differences between the genders to help you better decide on the right dog for your family. We will also bust a few myths about the differences between male and female dogs.
Goldendoodles Male vs Female: Temperament
Contrary to popular belief, both male and female Goldendoodles have the same temperament. They both have equal temperament because they are the same breed. Some people will say that males are more loving or that females are smarter, but looking at their genetics, this simply isn’t true.
Goldendoodles of both sexes have the intelligence of the Poodle and the loving affection of a Golden Retriever. Both the male and female Goldendoodle will strive to please you and are affectionate while they are both equally as smart and energetic.
What people experience when they say that there is a difference in male vs female Goldendoodles are different personality traits.
Difference Between Temperament and Personality
Just like every animal or person, we all have different personalities. This means that your dog could be intelligent and outgoing, but would prefer to lounge around and cuddle instead. There are no real differences in the Goldendoodle personality of male vs females because it all differs for each dog.
You see, temperament is how the breed of dog reacts based on inherited quality. It is in the genetics that a Goldendoodle is fun-loving and intelligent. It is a personality trait that your dog has and a temperament that will make it an individual.
With good, responsible breeding, the temperament is the same for all Goldendoodles. Irresponsible breeding causes differences in character. Irresponsible breeding could be breeding two dogs together that have genetic defects, or it could be inbreeding too much.
If you are generally fun-loving and spend a lot of time with your dog, they will be too. If your dog has experienced neglect in the past, it could alter your Goldendoodle’s personality. They are a reflection of how we react as pet-parents.
If you are looking for specific personality traits, talk to your breeder about which ones are more important. A reputable and seasoned breeder can tell how a puppy’s personality will grow by eight weeks old.
A dog’s training ability is directly affected by genetics. Since the Goldendoodle strives to please, a well-bred Doodle is easy to train. A female will not be quicker to train or smarter than a male and vice versa. This is not to say that a dog does not have a bad day and resist a training session. In general, Goldendoodles are highly intelligent and train quickly without much resistance and catch on quickly to the task you want them to perform.
The trick is to find what motivates your dog the most. Some dogs love getting a treat for good behavior or doing the command correctly. But, there are some dogs out there that are motivated by other things. If your dog does not seem excited to complete a task for you, try a different reward system. You could try to reserve a special toy as a reward for performing the right command. Or try a more enticing treat for picky eaters. Some dogs are also great at completing tasks just to see you become thrilled with them.
Some Goldendoodle owners will tell you that one gender has more behavioral issues than another. You could avoid some of these issues with a few minor adjustments.
Males in all breeds are known to mark and humping phases around the “teenage” period. This phase is when your dog goes through sexual maturity. Your dog will suddenly find interest in marking his favorite areas around the house or marking more frequently while out for a walk.
For this, you can do a few things to correct the behavior.
- If marking is happening in the house, get an enzyme cleaner that will remove all pet urine from that area. Follow by spraying a deterrent to keep your dog from marking in that area again.
- If your dog is overly excited and humping, distract your dog from the situation with a special toy or treat before it becomes an issue. Since Goldendoodles are intelligent, they overcome this phase easily with positive reinforcement.
- Females will go through something similar for the first few heat cycles that they get. Some females will react just like a hormonal male with humping and marking. But other females will become relaxed and cuddly. If your female starts with behaviors that become an issue, you will treat it the same as a male. Redirection and positive reinforcement go a long way with most behavioral problems.
In both males and females, you will go through a teenage phase where they are maturing and can’t seem to figure out what to do with their bodies. Neither one is more difficult than the other to correct; it is personal preference on what you can handle.
Some dog owners will tell you that a male can be more aggressive than a female, but this is not true. A female in heat can become aggressive just as a male protecting his territory. Some females are more territorial because they are loyal to their families. But the Goldendoodle isn’t known to have aggressiveness.
Aggressiveness is more of a personality trait or a sign that there might be something wrong with your dog medically. Sudden aggressive behaviors can signify that your dog is in pain or suffering from an unnoticeable illness. Be sure to check with your veterinarian if your dog becomes overly assertive or has sudden mood changes.
- When looking at Goldendoodle male vs female size, there are slight differences. There are three main sizes of the Goldendoodle: miniature, medium, and standard.
- A Miniature Goldendoodle is 14-17 inches tall and 15-30 pounds. Medium Goldendoodles are 16-19 inches tall and 35-40 pounds, while the Standard Goldendoodles are 20-26 inches tall and 50-90 pounds.
- Females are almost always smaller in both size and weight compared to males. This size difference is usually not big and noticeable unless you are getting a Standard Goldendoodle. There can be up to a 40-pound difference in healthy male and female Goldendoodle sizes. So if you prefer to have a smaller dog, going with a female might be better or with another size option to fit your household needs.
- Since Goldendoodles come in different sizes, you might wonder if there is a difference in Mini Goldendoodle male vs female. The short answer to this is no. Most Goldendoodles of all sizes act the same in each gender, and the only difference is the size of the breed.
There is no difference in male vs female Goldendoodles grooming requirements. They both will need to be brushed regularly, and taken to the groomer every 8-12 weeks for a haircut. More grooming might be required for active dogs or dogs who spend a lot of time outside. But this is because of lifestyle, not gender differences.
- When looking at medical conditions in male vs female Goldendoodles, the only differences are in reproductive health. As a whole, both males and females experience the same amount of medical concerns that are more common in Goldendoodles.
- Males are more prone to have prostate cancer and bacterial infections related to the prostate. They can get tumors and cysts in their reproductive organs that can be life-threatening if not treated early. Reproductive cancer is especially true for older male dogs who are still intact.
- Females can develop uterine and breast cancer. They will need to have screenings and checkups to be sure that no symptoms develop.
- These medical issues could be avoided in both males and females if you get them spayed or neutered. When they remain intact, these health concerns are more common, and if they are never bred while still intact, it is almost unavoidable.
As you can see, there is no scientific evidence that states male vs female Goldendoodles will act differently. Some people gravitate toward one sex or another based on past experiences or what they have always had. A person with expertise in only male Goldendoodles is more likely to say males are better because that’s all they know.
When choosing a Goldendoodle puppy, express your concerns with your breeder. They can point you in the right direction on how to choose. They can also help guide you on the personality traits that you want in your puppy. Males can be just as affectionate and intuitive with emotions as a female is capable of being outdoorsy and hyper.
We know that this can be both helpful and confusing at the same time. But we hope we have answered all your questions and busted a few myths in the process. In the end, it is wiser to pick a dog based on its personality rather than gender.
Below is a Pinterest friendly photo…. so you can pin it to your Doodle Board!!